Ride distance: morning - 28km, afternoon - 28km
The ride consisted of an initial stretch of around 13km along the Gansu Highway, then a turn into a minor headwind towards the Mogao Caves. The bicycle that I was assigned was a pretty major downgrade from my own, from the seat, to the handlebar position, down to the drivetrain and brakes. I knew that this would not be a very easy 5 days, and easily decided that the next time I do this, I’m bringing all of my own equipment.
We of course had another meal that consisted of shlag, and soups, and other forms of delicious offerings. I’m not a fan of shlag, as it tastes ‘gamey’, but I found out quickly that when you’re spending so much time turning a crank, everything that is edible is delicious.
During the return trip to the hotel, Sharon and I were hanging around at the front of the ride pack, and we take breaks in the middle of each leg to allow the rest of the pack to catch up. When you’re in the front, you get a longer break. If you’re hanging around in the back, you might get no break at all as the rest of the crew has given up waiting. Some of the local kids came out to see what was going on as we took a break in their neighborhood, sat on the chairs on their porches. The kids laughed when our Beijing based Senior Executive, Cameron, who’s Caucasian, greeted them in their native tongue.
Add another dinner consisting of shlag, and another trip to the night market. This time, it was with my new friend, Zhu Huiqian, “Joey”.
No comments:
Post a Comment