Sunday, August 15, 2010

How many times did you fall off your bike today?


The weekend was full of fun, people, barbecue, swimming pool, and bicycling around town. I solicited for some donations at the barbecue/pool party on Saturday. Curtis and Kelly Flaig of Los Altos gave a very generous cash donation. I received another donation in my name from Jessica Gowdy, also of Los Altos.

My friend, Trang, went on a ride with me today. I was partly in training mode, but mostly just enjoying the day with a friend. I also chose today to be the first ride with my new Shimano clip pedals.
Fall #1: It wasn't long before I had to stop at a red light, then forgetting that my feet were clipped to the pedals. I fell to my left, where the knee took the brunt of the impact from the pavement.
Fall #2: Not long after that, I made a sudden stop and unclipped my left foot since that's the foot I prefer to put down first, however, I inexplicably leaned toward the right and that's how I scraped up my right hand.
Fall #3: I fell again on my left knee at another sudden stop. This was the most painful fall of them all.
Fall #4: Once again, I forgot that I was clipped in. I landed on both palms, scraping up both even more than before.

I had fallen off a total of two times in my college years at bicycle heavy UC Davis, and those incidents were due to reckless riding habits which I no longer possess. Since then, I hadn't fallen in almost a decade, until today. Today was not a good day for me at least in terms of my bike training. however, I'm not surprised since I had done my research, reading about bikers who transition away from platform pedals for the first time.

As of today, I have gathered approximately $1,400 out of the minimum goal of $4,000. Please help me reach out to others about this event. I will be leaving to the bike ride in 3 short weeks and I need to gather as much support as I can for the kids in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment